Welcome To Water's Edge Silks!

I learned this technique a few years ago in a class and have been hooked ever since. The very first time, I was so amazed at the beauty of how the dye just flows off the brush and onto the silk so magically. I hope that you enjoy the photos of the steps of painting on silk. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Using a Gutta


Once your design is drawn onto your silk, the next step is applying the gutta by tracing your lines. Gutta is a resist that will block the dyes from spreading into another area of your silk. There are several types of gutta, but the first one I used that is very easy to use is the washable gutta in a tube by Pabeo from Dharma Trading Co. I think this is the way to start, and now I use Jacquard Gutta Resist, a rubber based resist that I pour into little bottles using metal tips for application. I can control the thickness of the line by using different sized tips. This photo will show the black water based gutta. See how the blue dye ran into the starfish. This is because the water based gutta needs to dry completely and the line needs to be thick and closed. If there is even a small opening, the dye will run into the area that you may want to block!

No comments:

Post a Comment